I love these super moist and tender apple protein muffins. These yummy little snacks are protein-packed, 100% healthy, naturally sweetened with maple syrup (could be replaced with honey) and extra easy to make. They are the perfect on-the-go, clean eating breakfast or post-workout lunch. These are also gluten-free, dairy-free and can be made vegan by replacing the eggs with flax eggs or applesauce.
It’s been almost two weeks since my last post already! Wow! Life goes fast. It’s summer and boy… So many things to work on around the house!
Anyway, back to the blog, finally!
I made these muffins last week. I needed some quick snacks while working hard outside the house. There are only 24 hours in a day (wish there was more!) and I needed to maximize my working time, so I didn’t really stop to have a proper lunch. These were little life savers!
Healthy on-the-go breakfast and snack recipes like these blueberry protein bars are very popular around the house, they disappear pretty fast! So I always try to come up with new recipes to try to mix things up a little bit
Why apples this time? Well, I simply had a bunch of apples which were about to turn bad, so making muffins was the perfect way to make the best use of them.
This recipe is 100% healthy, as always. They are made without using any unhealthy fats (close to being fat-free, actually!) and processed sugar-free.
But what I prefer about them is actually their texture! Who knew they would get so cakey and moist while being entirely flourless? Clean eating recipes like these always puzzle me.
I mean, why are people still baking with all-purpose flour?
For this recipe, I seeded the apples and processed them, skin on, in a food processor for a few seconds.
For a different texture, you could dice them, it’s all about personal preference.
The top part of these muffins is totally kid-approved… My 2-year-old literally DEVOURED the top part of half of this batch.
“Another one Daddyyyyy”
Which type of protein powder should be used? Use the one you have on hand, really. As long as it is vanilla flavored or flavorless, it’ll do the trick.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup vanilla protein powder*
- 2 apples, seeded
- 2 eggs**
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Prepare muffin tin with paper muffin cups or grease with coconut oil.
- IMPORTANT: Turn 1 cup rolled oats into a fine flour using a food processor (about 1 minute).
- Process the seeded apples, skin on, in a food processor for about 10-15 seconds. They should have the same texture as if they were shredded.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix all of the ingredients and stir well.
- Divide the batter among the 12 muffin tins, filling them all the way to the top.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of one of the muffins comes out clean.
**Can be replaced with flax eggs or same amounts of applesauce for a vegan version.