Got an apple pie craving? Here’s a quick and easy way to get your apple pie fix, minus the hassle! These healthy baked apple slices with cinnamon are a quick and easy snack the whole family will love. Naturally sweetened with maple syrup and coconut sugar, this tasty dessert is also vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, egg-free, flourless, refined-sugar free and could be made paleo by removing the oatmeal. It is also the perfect kid-approved breakfast for picky eaters.
It’s this time of year again. Leaves are turning yellow, orange and red. The wind smells pumpkin spice and there are apples everywhere. I love fall. (Well, most of it. Pumpkin spice? I have mixed feelings about this one).
The inspiration for creating this healthy apple dessert came from those huge apple bags sitting on my counter after a joyful day of apple picking with the kids. Because fall isn’t fall until you’ve gone apple picking, at least once, right?
A tradition is a tradition.
You have to do something with the plethora of apples filling your house afterward though, that’s when recipes like this one come in handy.
Healthy Baked Apple Slices with Cinnamon
These healthy baked apple slices are also perfect for these days when you crave a good dessert, but you just don’t have the time to make anything elaborate. These taste like apple pie, minus the hassle and the calories.
It is also much lighter than an apple pie, you won’t feel like you just had dessert.
Which variety of apple to use? You should use any variety that is good for baking an apple pie. I used golden delicious as they are great for baking, but ultimately most variety will do the trick, this is just some quick dessert, right? So use what you have on hand!
This recipe is also 100% Kid approved. If you’re looking for a recipe to feed your kids their dose of fruit, this is the one! Our kids LOVE it.
This recipe is perfect as a healthy dessert, a quick snack or as a breakfast. I left the skin on the slices for more texture and nutrients and I wasn’t disappointed, this was so good!
- 5 apples cored and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon almond flour
- 1 tablespoon rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil, cold
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring 1/4 cup maple syrup, 2 tbsp coconut oil, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg and 1 tsp lemon juice to a boil, constantly stirring. Remove from heat as soon as the liquid starts bubbling, cover and set aside.
- Carefully place the apple slices in the bottom of a 10-inch baking dish.
- Pour the liquid evenly over the apple slices.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix all of the ingredients from the Crumb section thoroughly with a fork. Sprinkle the crumb evenly over the apple slices.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Optional: Finish baking at BROIL setting for 1-2 minutes.