These paleo pumpkin spice protein cookies are soft, chewy and so tasty. Looking for the perfect fall treat? These are the ones. Protein-packed, easy to make and super healthy, these delicious snickerdoodle protein cookies are also paleo, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, flourless, grain-free and egg-free.
It’s fall friends! Or is it? It’s been 30 degrees the whole week here. And I’m talking about a Canadian 30 degrees. So yeah, it still feels like summer here, except the leaves are changing color… aaaand pumpkin spice treats are popping everywhere. Even on my blog.
Yup. I’ve finally hopped on the pumpkin spice bandwagon, and I am far from disappointed. These are delicious! I’m usually not a fan of pumpkin spice, but the taste and texture of these pumpkin snickerdoodles are out of this world.
Fall really is a love it or hate it season. A lot of people hate that it means the end of summer, pool parties, margaritas and… sunburns. But another group of people embraces fall. These are the ones who get all too excited to go apple picking, proudly wearing their fall outfit. They are the ones rushing to Starbucks to get their first pumpkin spice latté of the season. That guy smiling while raking leaves with the kids? Yup, this guy.
I am a proud member of the second category. Fall is my favorite season, by far. (Summer is way too hot for me anyway!)
Paleo Pumpkin Spice Protein Cookies
For this recipe, you will need to roll the cookie dough into balls with your hands before rolling them in a sugar/pumpkin spice mix. For that step, you will need to put the dough in the freezer for about 25 minutes. That step is crucial. If you don’t do it, the dough will stick to your hands and it will be very hard working it into balls.
Pro tip: If the dough still sticks to your hands, gradually add some more tapioca flour, one tablespoon at a time, and stir, the dough will get thicker.
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 3/4 cups almond flour
- 3 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1 egg or flax egg
- 1/4 cup peanut butter (or almond butter)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup vanilla protein powder (about 2 scoops)*
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp pumpkin spice
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp pumpkin spice
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt 2 tbsp coconut oil in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the melted coconut oil with 1/4 cup coconut sugar for 15-20 seconds. Incorporate the eggs and beat an additional 10 seconds, not more.
- Incorporate the rest of the ingredients from the "Cookie Dough" section and mix gently with your hands.
- Place the dough in the freezer for about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix 1/4 cup coconut sugar with 1 tbsp pumpkin spice and spread this mixture evenly on a plate.
- Remove from the freezer. At this point, the cookie dough should not stick to your hands too much. If it is still too sticky, stir in some more tapioca flour, one tablespoon at a time, until the dough is easily workable with your hands.
- Scoop the dough one heaped tablespoon at a time and roll it into balls with your hands.
- Roll the balls into the sugar/pumpkin spice mixture.
- Press the balls into the baking sheet, making small discs.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.