A smooth and creamy, melt in your mouth vegan vanilla slice recipe made with real food and naturally sweetened. These rich and fudgy little bars are guilt-free and perfect either as a dessert, snack or post-workout treat. They are healthy, easy to make, flourless and entirely paleo, vegan, gluten-free and dairy-free!
These vegan vanilla squares are the perfect crowd pleaser. I love them mainly because they are protein-packed. I will often have one or two (or 3!) after a hard workout and oh man…
There is no store-bought protein bar that comes even remotely close to the amount of flavor that these little bad boys pack.
Not. Even. Close.
The base has an intense, fudgy & rich vanilla taste and the filling is a super healthy caramel, topped with fleur de sel.
You are allowed to drool right now, I won’t judge, promise.
My wife wouldn’t believe me when I told her they were 100% healthy. For someone who wasn’t used to healthy sweets, it was hard to believe that something so good could be made with guilt-free ingredients.
I mean, who could blame her, right?
Now, she is always eager to know when I will be making the next batch. Problem is, as a food blogger I don’t get to repeat the same recipes very often.
But this recipe is one of my very few exceptions.
For some reason, the little one didn’t like them the first time. My guess is that it had something to do with her new “I’m-only-going-to-eat-apples-until-I-die” diet, which we had a hard time getting her off of. Oh… terrible two…
The second time she literally devoured the piece I gave her in SECONDS. She had those big round eyes, making loud “HMMMs” and “OHHHs”.
For anybody has children, you know what I mean…
This recipe is perfect for the sweet tooth trying to quit that refined white sugar addiction. In fact, it might give you another addiction: Clean sweets!
These are better than any old school vanilla slice recipe made with unhealthy ingredients like white sugar or all-purpose flour, you won’t see a difference, promise!
Actually no, you will see a difference in how good you feel after eating those compared to any refined counterpart!
Tip #1: Leave them on the counter 15 to 30 minutes before eating. It makes them fudgier.
Tip #2: Cut them as soon as you get them out of the fridge, it is easier that way.
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup plant-based protein powder (vanilla flavor)
- 3 tbsp warm water
- 1 cup cashews (soaked in cold water for 30 minutes)
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Fleur de sel (to sprinkle on top)
- Melt the coconut oil over medium heat In a small saucepan.
- Meanwhile, blend the almond flour, pitted dates, shredded coconut and protein powder into a fine flour using a food processor.
- Transfer the dry mixture to a large bowl and pour the liquid coconut oil and warm water. Mix well with a fork.
- Line a deep dish* with parchment paper** and spread the mixture evenly.
- Place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Melt the coconut oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the maple syrup, vanilla, and kosher salt. Cook for about 5 minutes or until it starts to bubble. Stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, blend the cashews and shredded coconut in a food processor.
- Pour the dry mixture, then the liquid caramel into a large bowl and mix well.
- Get the deep dish containing the base out of the refrigerator and pour the caramel mixture on top of it, spread evenly.
- Put back in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Sprinkle some fleur de sel on top then cut into 2"x2" squares.
- Serve at room temperature.
** Tip: Pour a little water in the bottom of your dish before placing the sheet of parchment paper. You will love this trick, trust me.
Inspired by Bianca Slade’s amazing work at wholefoodsimply.com, Thank you!!