You can have this healthy, delicious and fudgy 3 ingredient chocolate protein mug cake ready within the next 2 minutes. Wait! What?! That’s right. This easy, one bowl (or mug) chocolate protein cake is super easy to make. All you need to make this decadent, moist, gooey and protein-packed treat is a fork, a bowl, and a microwave! For a molten lava chocolate cake version, simply reduce the baking time slightly. Entirely Paleo, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, egg-free, flourless and kid-friendly! Chocolate cake for breakfast? Yes, YES! (Oven option available)
3 Ingredient Protein Mug Cake
What’s in there? Well, the recipe consists of three simple ingredients. It is so simple and quick to make that you can have this one ready before your toasts are. Actually, I think that the only quicker breakfast option would be a good old bowl of cereal. But don’t you get tired of these sometimes?
Guilt-free chocolate protein cake for breakfast? DO it. Yes!
(Or as a mid-afternoon/post-workout snack? Perfect.)
I have included several recipe options and variations in the recipe box below. You see, making this recipe with only the 3 base ingredients is perfectly fine. It is still super tasty (pick a chocolate protein powder brand that tastes good though!). BUT, pimping this recipe a little bit by adding 1 or 2 simple ingredients will bring it from wow… to AH-Mah-Zing!
But like I said, it is totally up to you. If you prefer simplicity over taste, the base recipe is excellent. Your choice.
I’ve also said above that this cake can easily be turned into a molten lava cake. The secret? Simply reduce nuke time. Every brand/model of microwave is different though. And when I say different, I mean DIFFERENT. If you have a very powerful microwave, above 1000 watts, I’d say 1 minute baking time is usually enough. If you have an older unit with a very low wattage, you might have to increase the baking time up to two minutes or more to have a perfectly baked mug cake.
3 Ingredient Chocolate Protein Mug Cake
- 1 large ripe banana (peeled and mashed)
- 1 egg or flax egg (for vegan option)
- 1 scoop whey chocolate protein powder* (Plant-based for vegan option)
- Optional: 2 Tbsp dark chocolate chips**
- Optional: 1 tsp cocoa powder
- Optional: 1/2 tsp baking powder for oven option
- Mix all of the selected ingredients in a large mug. Do not fill it to the lid with batter as it may spill while baking.
- Microwave for 1 to 2 minutes.**
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix all of the selected ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Pour the cake batter into a large oven-safe mug or large ramequin. You may add 1/2 tsp baking powder for this option.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until desired consistency.
- You can check the consistency of the cake by inserting a toothpick in the center.
*For the vegan option, use plant-based protein powder and gradually add some almond milk until the batter has the consistency of a pudding. This is essential, as this type of protein powder absorbs much more moisture than whey. Baking time will also vary.
* *The type of chocolate chips used should be compliant with your personal diet.