Replacing pasta or dough with a vegetable alternative is a growing trend in the healthy-eating world – and one that can be very tasty!
For this recipe, instead of traditional pizza dough, I used a low-carb, gluten-free alternative: roasted eggplant slices… And the result was wonderful! It is like eating a fine thin crust pizza, but without the disadvantages of a traditional pizza dough.
For a paleo version of this recipe, remove the feta cheese, it is still very tasty.
I think what I like the most about this recipe is its low-calorie count: you can eat several of those without feeling guilty!
Eggplant Crust Mediterranean Style "Pizza"
- 2 Roma tomatoes seeded and diced
- 1 small onion sliced
- 1/3 cup kalamata olives sliced
- 1/3 cup feta cheese diced
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 large eggplant
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Line a Baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a sharp knife, slice one side of the eggplant, place it face down on your cutting board, then proceed to cut the eggplant into thin slices (1/2 inch thick), lengthwise.
- Place the eggplant slices on the baking sheet, pierce them with a fork, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Place in the oven and bake for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, gently combine the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl
- Remove from the eggplant from the oven, spread the content of your bowl on the slices evenly with a spoon, then return to the oven for 12 more minutes or until the feta cheese turns golden brown.