This healthy Chocolate Protein Milkshake is made without ice cream or banana. Instead, I used avocado to give it a very delicious, creamy texture. Perfect for breakfast or as a postworkout treat, this tasty recipe might become your go-to protein snack, as it is so easy to make! Gluten-free, and egg-free. Can be made dairy-free, vegan and paleo by using plant-based protein powder.
I am partnering with Isopure for today’s recipe. All of the concepts, ideas, and visuals are my own.
Surprisingly enough, this is my first protein shake recipe on the blog! Not sure why, but maybe its because I’ve never been that much of a protein shake kind of guy, haha..
One thing I know for sure though is that this is not going to be the last protein share recipe on the blog. This recipe was so good that I made a promise to myself to make lots more recipes like this one.
Why I Think You’ll Love this Recipe
- Nutrient-Packed. These is cacao and avocado in there. Both are very powerful antioxidants and deemed to be superfoods.
- Amazing Texture. Although I’ve named this recipe “Chocolate Protein Milkshake”, there is no ice cream in there. Instead, I’ve added some avocado and erythritol, which neatly re-creates the texture and taste of a real milkshake.
- Ready in 5 minutes. No overly complicated steps. Simply throw the ingredients in your blender for 30-45 seconds and you’re done!
Should You Drink Your Protein Shake Before or After Your Workout?
Recent studies have shown that the moment you drink your protein shake has little to no effect on muscle growth and that the 30-minute rule might actually be a myth. Daily protein intake is much more important than the actual time at which it is ingested. (Source: Healthline)
Chef’s Tips and Tricks
- Consistency. Depending on the size of your avocado, you might need to add a little more milk, as a bigger avocado will make for a thicker shake.
- Erythritol. Can be replaced with the same amount of sugar-like sweetener like coconut sugar or monk fruit. *You may need to add more almond milk if doing so.
- Type of Milk. You may use any type of milk, depending on your dietary needs/goals.
- Vegan Version. I’ve used Isopure’s Dark Chocolate Whey Protein Powder for this recipe, but you could use plant-based protein powder for a vegan / dairy-free / paleo version.
Which Protein Powder Did You Use?
I used Isopure’s Dark Chocolate Whey Protein Powder for this recipe, which I highly recommend. It tastes fantastic and is very low in carbs and fat. If dairy isn’t allowed into your diet, you can make this recipe using Arbonne’s Chocolate Protein Shake Mix.
More Chocolate Protein Snacks
- Bakery-Style Protein Brownies
- Double Chocolate Protein Muffins
- Twix Protein Bars
- Raspberry Bounty Protein Bars
Have you tried this recipe? Let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment & rating below! Don’t forget to Follow Me on Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook for more delicious recipes. I also LOVE seeing your creations, take a pic and Tag @onecleverchef on Instagram!
***CLICK BELOW TO PIN FOR LATER!***
Chocolate Protein Milkshake
This Healthy Chocolate Protein Milkshake is made without ice cream or any other unhealthy ingredients. Instead, avocado is used to give it its delicious creamy texture.
- 3 tbsp whipped cream or whipped coconut cream
- 1 tsp chopped dark chocolate
VEGAN version: See Notes
Blend. Place the 1/2 cup ice cubes, 1 1/4 unsweetened almond milk, 1 scoop dark chocolate protein powder, 1/2 small avocado, 1/4 cup erythritol, and 1/4 cup cacao powder in a blender. Blend for 30 to 45 seconds. Start at the lowest speed for about 10 seconds, then rapidly increase to max speed for 20-35 more seconds. Serve immediately.
Toppings. The whipped cream & dark chocolate toppings are entirely optional.
Nutrition Information was calculated without the additional toppings, which are optional.
Vegan Version: Use 1 scoop of Arbonne Chocolate Protein Shake Mix
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. I only recommend products that I use and trust!