What’s more comforting than relaxing on the couch, wrapped up in a comfy blanket with a bowl of delicious and heart-warming soup in your hands? I know, I Know, its summer time.
But you know what? I love cream soup so much, I will still have a bowl even if its 30 degrees outside.
For this recipe I decided to leave the skin on the potato cubes. It gives more flavor and adds more nutrients. For the chicken broth, buy organic if you can, or even better: Make your own.
Many people blend their cream soups until smooth… Don’t! Pulsing the soup just a few times gives it more texture and the taste just isn’t the same.
Cream of Spinach and Kale Soup
You will notice that I turn off the heat right after adding the greens. I do that for two simple reasons:
First, green veggies will retain more of their nutritional value when they are just slightly cooked.
Second, cooking veggies for too long just kills the taste!
Kale And Spinach Cream Soup
- 1 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 2 cup fresh spinach chopped
- 2 cup fresh kale chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- Parmesan cheese to taste (Optional)
- Gently melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat, then add in the green onion, cook for about 15 minutes stirring occasionally, add garlic 3 minutes before the end.
- Meanwhile, cut the rest of your ingredients.
- Add the potatoes and chicken broth to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft.
- Remove from heat and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Set aside for about 10-15 minutes
- Using a blender or food processor, pulse the soup a few times so it keeps some texture. You could blend it until smooth, but it does not taste the same!
- Serve and sprinkle some parmesan cheese on top.
Nutrition information is a rough estimate without additional toppings
Leave a Reply