This low-carb egg roll in a bowl meal prep recipe is super tasty, thanks to my secret creamy sesame sauce. It is healthy, low-carb, keto and it can be made with either ground beef, ground turkey or ground pork. It could also be made vegan by replacing the ground meat with cubed firm tofu. This very easy and quick recipe will give you 4 lunches for about 25 minutes of preparation. Make a Whole30 & Paleo version by using the right type of mayonnaise.
Meal prep time! Sunday afternoons are very busy at our house. By 3 PM the kitchen is usually a big mess with tons of pans and bowls piled up on the counters and there are food splatters everywhere!
The good part though is that we won’t have to cook for the rest of the week. Everybody’s lunch is packed and sealed in meal prep containers, ready for the next 5 days and we also have food ready for every evening, too. Cook-free weeknights are our new way of staying zen, and it works wonders.
It means more time with the kids and less stress for everybody!
Like my red pesto pasta recipe, this recipe only requires one pan and is ready under 25 minutes. Thank you, coleslaw mix!
Ingredients for your Low-Carb Egg Roll in a Bowl Meal Prep
- Ground Meat. It can be any type of meat really! Either ground beef, pork, chicken or turkey will do. For a low-fat version, pick extra-lean ground meat.
- Coleslaw Mix. You could shred your own cabbage and carrots for a cheaper version. You would need 1 pound of it.
- Onion. Some chopped onion for taste, any type will do. I used yellow onions.
- Garlic Powder. You could use fresh garlic instead. I just love using garlic powder because it is quick and easy.
- Ginger Powder. Again, fresh ginger could be used here.
- Tamari. Tamari is used for the gluten-free version. If you don’t mind the gluten in soy sauce, you could use that instead.
- Rice Wine Vinegar. To add some bitterness and a little bit of sweetness. Could be replaced with white wine vinegar or even apple cider vinegar.
- Sesame oil. Used to cook the meat. You could use any other type of cooking oil if you don’t like the taste of sesame oil.
- Fish sauce. Used solely as an ingredient in the sesame sauce and it is entirely optional.
- Mayonnaise. Again, used for the sesame sauce, which is optional.
- Sriracha. Used as an optional topping.
- Green Onion. Again, used as an optional topping.
- Sesame Seeds. For topping only.
How to Make your Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Cook the onion. Start by cooking the onion in sesame oil until it is translucent.
- Cook the meat. Make sure it is cooked through and broken into bits. You will add spices at this step.
- Add Coleslaw Mix. Also, add the rest of the ingredients here, except for the sauce ingredients, of course.
- Cook until tender. Remove from heat when desired consistency is attained, some people will like it crunchier or more cooked. Just cook and stir until you are satisfied with the texture.
- Make the sauce. Whisk the sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Serve. Top with the sesame sauce, sesame seeds, green onion, and sriracha.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long can I store this recipe? This recipe is to be stored for up to a week in the fridge in an airtight container, and for up to 3 months in the freezer.
Can I use any type of meat? Yes! You could use pretty much any type of ground meat. Beef, pork, turkey or chicken works best, but you could also use shrimp, tofu or even scallops.
What can I use instead of coleslaw? You could use broccoli slaw or bags of shredded carrots and parsnips.
How do I make a vegan version? Simply replace the meat with tofu and the mayonnaise in the sauce with vegan mayo. Also, skip the fish sauce.
How do I make a Whole30/Paleo version? Simply replace mayonnaise in the sauce with a Whole30/Paleo approved mayo.
- Swap the meat! Use the same amount of tofu or seafood like shrimps or scallops instead.
- Add some crunch! Add some crumbled low-carb crackers on top.
- Swap the coleslaw! Use broccoli slaw or shredded carrots and parsnips instead.
- Serve in a wrap! If low-carb isn’t your jam, you could serve this dish in a wrap like a burrito, with the sesame sauce and other toppings. I’m drooling just thinking about it!.
- Store the sauce. If you are making this dish as meal prep, store the sauce in a separate container. Wait until you are ready to eat before you drizzle your plate with it.
- Do not overcook. Make sure the coleslaw keeps some crunch. You want it soft but not mushy, so don’t overcook.
- THAT sauce! I am in love with that sesame sauce! Make a double batch of sauce and use it as a dip for anything Asian (like sushi!). You’ll thank me later.
- Toppings are optional. The base recipe is very good as is, without any additional toppings. So if you are in a rush, no stress, just make the base recipe and that is it!.
*CLICK THE IMAGE BELOW TO PIN FOR LATER*
Low-Carb Egg Roll in a Bowl
This healthy, low-carb egg roll in a bowl meal prep recipe is all you need for this week's lunch prep.
Sesame sauce ingredients
- sesame seeds to taste
- chopped green onions to taste
- sriracha sauce to taste
Heat sesame oil in a large skillet or wok and cook the onions over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until translucent.
Add the meat, garlic, and ginger. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 10 minutes, or until cooked through and broken into bits.
Add the coleslaw bags, tamari sauce, and rice vinegar. Cook, stirring constantly, for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the cabbage is semi-translucent and soft.
Sesame sauce Instructions
Mix all of the sesame sauce ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and whisk until smooth. You can add a little bit more rice vinegar if you'd like the sauce to be more tangy and runny.
Top with sesame sauce, sesame seeds, chopped green onion, and sriracha.