Although this recipe is made out of Mexican ingredients and spices, it is not a traditional Mexican recipe by any means. I crafted it out of relatively simple Mexican ingredients and the result turned out to be very tasty!
I kept the recipe fairly simple and it is made out of 100% real ingredients, no canned foods or seasoning mixes of any kind, just pure cooking from scratch. I think it’s what gave it its fresh, “I-want-some-more” special taste.
Some recipes similar to this one will ask you to steam the pepper halves before filling them with the ground meat mixture. You can do it, but I prefer my peppers this way, with a little “crunchiness”.
Optional: Top with chopped fresh cilantro, I highly recommend it!
Mexican-Style Stuffed Bell Peppers With Ground Turkey
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 4 bell peppers cut in half and seeded
- 1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- The taco sauce:
- 3 ripe Roma tomatoes diced
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tsp cumin
- 3 tsp chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat
- Add cumin and chili powder and roast for 2-3 minutes
- Add garlic and cook for about 2 minutes constantly stirring (don’t overcook it)
- Add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes
- Add the tomato cubes, cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan and cook the ground turkey
- When the sauce is ready, remove from heat and set aside. Now you can either use the sauce as is, or you can blend it until smooth using a food processor. (Caution: If you decide to blend the sauce, let it cool down beforehand to avoid any injury!)
- Pour the sauce into the cooked ground turkey and cook together for 5-6 minutes.
- Place the bell pepper halves on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, then fill the pepper halves with the ground turkey mix, top with grated mozzarella cheese. (You can use any other type of cheese, like Monterey Jack or Tex-Mex for more flavor)
- Place in the oven for about 25-30 minutes
- Let sit a couple minutes before eating