These oven roasted eggplant cubes are a delicious, much healthier alternative to potato fries. The recipe for the balsamic vinaigrette is of Mediterranean inspiration with strong Greek flavors. Super easy to make and 100% healthy, this recipe is also entirely paleo, gluten-free, vegan, low-carb, dairy-free, flourless, nut-free and egg-free.
What I like about this recipe is that it is so easy to make and so versatile. Don’t like eggplant? Try zucchini instead, or potatoes. This vinaigrette will do the trick for most vegetables. The whole thing only takes 5 minutes to whip up. Quickly spread it on a pan, throw in in the oven and BAM, done. Simple, fast and so very effective.
Bake some chicken breasts on a second pan and you have the perfect no-fuss, guilt-free 30-minute weeknight meal. How about that? Love it.
You could even adapt this recipe for the barbecue by slicing the eggplant lengthwise instead and use the vinaigrette as a marinade instead.
Oven Roasted Eggplant Cubes
I served these Mediterranean roasted eggplant cubes with 2 dipping sauces: sriracha + mayo and dijon mustard + mayo (2 tbsp mayo for 1 tsp sriracha/dijon, yes we like them very spicy over here!). If you’d prefer to skip the mayo though it’s perfectly fine, they are delicious as is.
I like eating them in a basket, with a couple dipping sauces on the side, just to make us feel like we’re at the pub eating greasy food, except this is super duper healthy. Awesome.
Quick & easy
I really hope you like the recipe and if you have any pairing ideas or comments about this recipe please leave them below in the comments section!
Have you made this recipe? If so I’d love to hear about it!
Oven Roasted Eggplant Cubes with Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1 large eggplant cubed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1-2 pinch fleur de sel
- Optional: Place the eggplant cubes in a colander and coat with salt generously. Let sit for about 20-30 minutes at room temperature.*
- Preheat oven to 325F
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Rince the eggplant cubes thoroughly with water to remove as much salt as possible then pat them dry with a clean piece of cloth.
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Spread the eggplant cubes evenly on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Top with dried oregano and fleur de sel.
* Preparation time is calculated without the salting process as it is entirely optional. This process is used to get rid of the bitterness in the eggplant. Only the larger eggplants will show some bitterness, hence why we are using smaller ones for this recipe.