I love hearty soups… I always feel full after one bowl, but I have to force myself to stop there because it is so good! Eat with a thick slice of homemade bread, (with butter of course!) and it’s heaven!
You will enjoy the spicy Mexican touch of this soup along with its fresh lime taste, it is the perfect combination.
The secret of this soup is in the spicing and the freshness of the ingredients. To add more flavor, I always roast cumin and chili spices, they taste so much better like that!
I chose a three lentil bean mix for more flavor, but one type of lentil will do it, no problem.
Also, pick a fresh lime, don’t use lime juice concentrate ever, ever, ever! What makes the success of this soup is the fresh taste of lime juice, don’t ruin it!
Fresh tomatoes are also a must, not only canned tomatoes aren’t good for you (at all!), they just don’t taste the same! Again, this soup is all about fresh ingredients, it is what makes it so good.
If you like fresh cilantro, chop and add some to your bowl.
As for nutritional benefits, you should know that lentils are a powerhouse of nutrition. They are full of dietary fibers and packed with essential nutrients, vitamins and minerals.
Three Lentil Chili Lime Soup With Fresh Tomatoes
- 3 ripe tomatoes diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 1/3 cup three lentil mix
- 6 cups chicken broth either homemade or organic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- Juice of a lime
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Optional: Chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add in the chili powder and roast it for about a minute.
- Add the rest of the spices and onion, cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cook for another minute.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Optional: Add a tablespoon of chopped fresh cilantro to your bowl.