Yesterday I was scratching my head, trying to find a good idea for a comforting healthy recipe using what was left in our fridge. Needless to say, after cooking the following recipe, I was very proud of myself…
There was almost nothing left in the fridge! This recipe came out very tasty: I love pesto chicken. It fits perfectly for various recipes like pasta, pizza and sandwiches. Plus homemade pesto is so easy to do, and full of health benefits!
All you need is a green vegetable or herb of choice, (usually basil, but in this case, since I didn’t have basil on hand, so I decided to use spinach instead!) nuts, garlic, olive oil, dry cheese with a strong flavor and salt.
It takes about 5-10 minutes to prepare and you will need a good blender or food processor (I used my nutri-bullet, love it!)
The beauty of this recipe is it is full of cancer-fighting antioxidants and good fats to help fight heart disease. I used thin slices of homemade whole wheat bread.
It is just a standard whole wheat bread recipe baked with a bread machine. I personally use the Black n Decker 3lb machine. It is cheap and effective.
Do you know what I preferred from this recipe? I was feeling so well after finishing my meal, even if it tasted like a Pesto Chicken pizza, I knew that what I ate was super healthy!
Open-Face Melted Mozzarella Sandwich With Spinach Pesto Chicken
- Homemade Pesto Recipe Here
- 2 cups Packed Spinach Leaves
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 2/3 cup Cashews or pine nuts
- 1 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil add more for a smoother texture
- 2/3 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 pinch Kosher Salt
- Sandwich Toppings
- 6 thin slices of Whole Wheat Bread
- 1 1/2 cup Grated Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 Large Tomato Thinly Sliced
- 1/2 Onion Thinly Sliced
- 1 1/2 Cup Chopped Chicken
- About 1 1/2 cup Pesto Recipe above
- Preheat over at 350 Degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lay a sheet of wax paper on a cookie pan. Place the slices of bread on the sheet. Spread a reasonable amount of pesto on every slice of bread.
- In a bowl, mix the chicken with about 3/4 cup pesto. Lay some pesto chicken evenly on every slice. Place 1-2 Tomato Slice(s).
- Sprinkle some grated mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle some thin onion slices.
- Bake for about 15-18 minutes or until the cheese and onion slices start getting a golden brown color.
- Serve with a simple balsamic salad!
*While this recipe is rich in various essential nutrients, be warned that it is NOT a low-calorie recipe.